April 20, 2007

Classic tunes at a discount price

Apple, in it's unfaltering wisdom, has seen fit to offer classic albums from the ages (1920's – 2000's) at the discount price of $7.99. Looking through the list of albums on sale, there are some great, truly classic works available. Many of these I already own, particularly from the 80's and 90's, on tape cassette or vinyl.

Now I have been trying to get my collection out of the analogue domain for the past year with little success. I started by digitizing my tape collection, which I decided after 6 cassettes was a futile exercise that would take me an eon to complete. The problem is the vast collection of tapes I own, and the fact they have to be digitised in real time. CD's rip to MP3 in minutes, analogue tape takes an hour. As for vinyl, my hi-fi equipment is in one room and my computer is in my office. I have yet to devise a means of getting the signal from my Systemdek into my Mac.

So, what I have been doing as a workaround is this. The legally questionable online music store AllOfMP3 has literally thousands of albums for sale for $1-2. For $10 I could get 6-7 albums digitized and into my iTunes library in a matter of minutes. To keep things on a somewhat moral ground for my own conscience is to ONLY purchase music I already owned in an analogue form. I have bought this LP or Tape once. The artist, the record company, the record store all made their profit from the money I gave them once. I already own the rights to play that music. For a while this worked out very nicely for me, but as with all things good, they eventually come to an end. AllOfMP3 is being squeezed out of existence by the record companies, probably quite rightly you could argue. So it's back to the the record deck for me.

But now Apple has made things interesting with it's Classic Sale. At $7.99 it is not a no-brainer. If they were $5 I would be all over that, but 10 albums is $80, a bit too steep for music I already paid for once. Maybe I'll get one or two of the best, and hold out for a resuscitation of AllOfMP3 in the future.

(this article originally posted on Tumblr)


Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,


No comments: