October 14, 2008

Design : MCA-I Awards Ceremony

I am designing a graphics title package for a local chapter of the Media Communication Association International. I was asked to do some pro bono work by a leader of my local chapter (the LA/OC branch). The logo was supplied as a vector file, but I was given free reign to come up with some interesting designs that broke away from the typical blue/purple swirling background loop and white Arial titles. Green was suggested as a more topical color, especially considering this years event would be held in California. I think it was felt California is a particularly 'green' state.

Taking the green and the nature of the organization into consideration, I picked three alternate background loops. The globe represented the international presence of MCA-I, the flowers were a kind of tongue in cheek nod to the flower power California 60's. The 3D graphic, the colored strands, represented the fabric of not only the multi-faceted organization and it's members, but also the many threads of media in the current digital landscape. Intertwined but woven as one.

These are the 3 sets of designs I submitted. The 3D strands, created in Cinema4D using the always lovely Danel shader, will grow out of the top corner. The background will be a continuous looping texture. The logo will reveal front and center, then fade back up to the top corner. The award recipients name will then appear. This will be run from a DVd player and projected onto a 20' screen.

TRT to be 20 secs.
NTSC D1

MCA-I 40th Anniversary Awards Package

Design One : Globe & Logo

MCA-I 40th Anniversary Awards Package

Design One : Globe & Title

MCA-I 40th Anniversary Awards Package

Design Two : Globe & Title

MCA-I 40th Anniversary Awards Package

Design Three : Globe & Title


[update]


The final movie can be found here:


Final Movie

No comments: